1972 as Wayne General & Technical College. Name changed to Wayne College in 1990.
- Main Classroom Building - 120,000 square feet
- Student Life Building - 36,000 square feet
- Campus - 160 acres on the north edge of the city of Orrville.
- State-of-the-art distance learning classroom and over 200 computers on campus accessible to students
- Wireless Internet connection on entire campus
- Fall Semester 2016 - 2,500 students in credit classes
- Spring Semester 2017 - 2,362 students in credit classes
- 85% from Wayne County, 14% from Medina County, 1% from Holmes and other counties
- 20 full-time faculty, 14 of whom hold doctorate degrees
- Student-to-faculty ratio is 15 to 1 with an average class size of 16 students.
Wayne College, The University of Akron’s only regional branch campus, is an educational and cultural hub for Wayne County and the surrounding region. Student success is achieved through excellent teaching with an emphasis on individualized attention. We prepare our students for further educational pursuits, career success, and lifelong learning.
To achieve this mission Wayne College will:
- Provide affordable access to The University of Akron’s bachelor and master’s degree programs, technical associate degrees, and general education coursework;
- Contribute to the community’s lifelong learning landscape by offering both credit and non-credit opportunities;
- Remain the region’s open-access opportunity for students to complete developmental coursework to prepare for admission to The University of Akron;
- Provide programming on site at our beautiful Orrville campus, online, or at one of several satellite locations throughout Northern Ohio;
- Extend desirable programming and support services to the students served by our satellite locations in Millersburg, Medina, and Lakewood, and regional high schools through the College Credit Plus program
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon completing their course of study at Wayne College, students will . .
- Students will demonstrate foundational competency in written communication, oral communication and information literacy.
- Students will demonstrate foundational competency in creating and evaluating reasoned arguments, and employing quantitative, qualitative, and normative information in such arguments.
- Students will demonstrate foundational competency in knowledge of representative content and methods of inquiry of the arts, humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of technology and technological tools in producing and disseminating information in an efficient and responsible manner.
- Students earning Technical Associate Degrees and Certificates will demonstrate the achievement of Learning Outcomes for their program.
For more information, please visit our HLC Accreditation Page. The University of Akron Wayne College is accredited at the associate degree level by the Higher Learning Commission. Interested parties can contact the Higher Learning Commission at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604; 1-800-621-7440; http://www.ncahlc.org.
On August 17, 2011, the Higher Learning Commission, a national independent corporation that evaluates the quality of higher education institutions, granted a full 10-year continued accreditation to The University of Akron Wayne College. This will allow the college to remain accredited through 2021.
For information on accreditation or to review copies of the accreditation documents, contact the Wayne College Dean's Office, The University of Akron Wayne College, 1901 Smucker Road, Orrville, OH 44667; 330-684-8941.
A mission of the The University of Akron Wayne College is to prepare students to pursue and complete Bachelor Degrees at the The University of Akron’s main campus. The Number of Students and Percent that Migrate from Wayne to Akron after Spring Semester reflect achievement of this mission:
Wayne College also has six Associate Degrees and two Bachelor Degrees (awarded by the main campus.) Wayne College Graduation Rates:
|Academic Year (Fall & Spring)
||Later Enrolled at Akron
||Number of Students graduating with Associate Degrees
||Students Graduating with Bachelor Degrees offered on Wayne Campus awarded by The University of Akron
|2013 - 2014
|2014 - 2015
|2015 - 2016
|2016 - 2017
||Admitted and Enrolled
||Retained Next Term
||Retained 1 year
||Retained 1.5 years
|Retained 4 years
||Admitted and Enrolled
|| %Retained Next Term
|| %Retained 1 year
||%Retained 1.5 years
|%Retained 3 years
||%Retained 4 years