Note-taking services are an accommodation that is sometimes given for individuals who have a physical disability, psychological disability, or learning disability that directly impacts their ability to take notes for themselves.
- Students receive the note-taking accommodation only if approved by the Disability Specialist & Service Coordinator.
- Each semester, students must remember to sign into their STARS account to request their accommodations. Students with the note taker accommodation also have the Instructor Guidelines for Securing Note takers at the bottom of their accommodation letter.
- Instructors should read the Instructor Guidelines for Securing Note-takers out loud to the class. They should not identify who the person who needs the note-taking. If this happens, the student who is receiving note-taking should notify the Disability Specialist immediately!
If the instructor does not read the note taking announcement during the first week of class, please remind them to do so in a timely manner. If the instructor has made the announcement and a note taker still has not been assigned after two weeks of class, please contact the Disability Specialist.
- If a note taker does not report to class, the student will notify the instructor and the Disability Specialist.
- Students must attend class to receive notes for that day. If there are any attendance issues, please contact the Disability Specialist.
- Advise the Disability Specialist if student does not want a note taker for a class.
- We will make a good faith effort to find note takers in a timely manner. However, this depends on how early in the semester the student requests accommodations and how quickly a note taker is identified.
- If students no longer require a note taker, they must notify the Disability Specialist.
- A student who wishes to obtain a note taker beyond the sixth week of the semester is required to meet with the Disability Specialist to review and discuss this request.
- Contact the Disability Specialist if there are any concerns regarding your note taker.