What is the role of the Disability Specialist?
The specialist assists Wayne College in complying with state and federal laws that mandate equal access to education for people with disabilities. We are the campus’ Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (2008) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973) compliance office for student program access.
What we do:
- Evaluate student medical and psychological documentation
- Authorize and implement appropriate academic accommodations.
- Provide advising and support for disabled students
- Serve as a resource and consultant to faculty and staff
- Accommodations are to provide equal access only, and not an unfair advantage. Students must meet eligibility requirements as defined by state and federal laws in order to receive specific accommodations. Students are still required to meet essential, academic & technical standards of the College or University with or without reasonable accommodations.