UA plans Veterans Day observances11/03/2015
As it does each fall, The University of Akron will honor servicemembers, past and present, with several events in observance of Veterans Day on Nov. 11. Veterans Day observances include:
- A “Wall of Gratitude” is once again on display in the main hallway at Wayne College through Nov. 20. Faculty, staff and community members are invited to share pictures and statements about any veteran for the wall. The campus is located at 1901 Smucker Road, Orrville.
- A Veterans Day Luncheon will be hosted at Wayne College on Tuesday, Nov. 10, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Student Life Building. Retired Maj. Gen. Dan Hahn of the U.S. Army will be the keynote speaker. The program also will include music, posting of colors and an MIA/POW remembrance. The event is free to veterans and their family members and the Akron campus. Food from Old Carolina BBQ will be served. RSVPs are appreciated. Contact 330-684-8973 or email@example.com.
The ceremony will proceed outdoors to the Buchtel Hall flagpole at 10 a.m., followed by a 21-gun salute by ROTC cadets at 11 a.m. Retired U.S. Marine Capt. Charles McIntosh, who served nearly 13 years in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps and was deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan, will be the featured speaker. McIntosh was awarded a Purple Heart, and twice received both the Combat Action Ribbon and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, among other honors.
- The seventh annual “Honoring Those Who Serve Celebration” will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Musson Veterans Lounge on the third floor of InfoCision Stadium. The social gathering is for students, faculty and staff who are veterans; military service members and their families; and invited guests. Refreshments and prizes will be provided.
Focus on resources and careers
- A Veterans Resource Fair will be held at the same time — 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. — on the fifth floor of the stadium. Campus offices and many off-campus military support organizations will participate. Please contact Mary Rossett at 330-972-7382 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Oct. 23, to reserve a table for your department or organization. The Military Services Center, Military Veterans Association, Veterans Steering Committee and American Legion Post 808 are sponsoring the celebration and fair.
- On Thursday, Nov. 12, a Veteran Career and Community Job Fair will be held at Quaker Station, 135 South Broadway, from 9 to 10 a.m. for veterans only, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the general public. Nearly 90 employers are expected at the event. Representatives from UA’s Military Services Center, Military Veterans Association, American Legion Post 808 and the Corps of Cadets will be on hand as well. Job fair sponsors are UA, Ohio Means Jobs, Akron Beacon Journal, and the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services.
Media contact: Lisa Craig, 330-972-7429 or email@example.com.