The Fireside Readers Book Discussion Group was formed in October 2005. Discussions are open to members of the area community, as well as college students, faculty and staff. Over the past few years we have focused on discussing memoirs, biographies, and other works of nonfiction. Several members of the group have been with us since the beginning, and others join us when we're reading a book of personal interest.
The group traditionally meets on the fourth Monday of the month, taking time off in the summer and over the winter holidays. We meet from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. in the community room next to the library. At each meeting light refreshments are served.
Please join us for an upcoming meeting, even if you have not yet read or completely the month's selection. New members and guests are always welcome!
Check out book tie-ins and other interesting links on our book club's shared document.
Monday, January 26, 2015:
- Day of Honey: A Memoir of food, love, and war by Annia Ciezadlo
Monday, February 23, 2015:
Monday, March 30, 2015 (on week late due to Spring Break):
Monday, April 27, 2015:
- The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win World War II by Denise Kiernan
No Meeting in May: Happy Memorial Day!
Monday, June 22, 2015:
- My Mistake by Daniel Menaker
No Meeting in December: Meetings will resume on Monday, January 26, 2015.
- Ackerman, Diane. The Zookeeper’s Wife.
- Adams, Mark. Turn Right at Machu Picchu.
- Albright, Madeleine. Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937-1948
- Alcott, Louisa May. Little Women
- Anthony, Carl Sferrazza. Ida McKinley: The Turn-of-the-Century First Lady Through War, Assassination, and Secret Disability.
- Avlon, John. Wingnuts: how the lunatic fringe is hijacking America.
- Baker, Russell. Growing up.
- Beah, Ishmael. A long way gone: memoirs of a boy soldier.
- Beard, Jo Ann. The boys of my youth.
- Boser, Ulrich. The Gardner Heist: The True Story of the World's Largest Unsolved Art Theft.
- Bragg, Rick. All over but the shoutin'.
- Bryson, Bill. In a Sunburned Country.
- Bryson, Bill. One Summer: America, 1927.
- Bryson, Bill. A walk in the woods : rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail.
- Cannato, Vincent J. American Passage: The History of Ellis Island
- Chang, Leslie T. Factory girls: From village to city in a changing China.
- Child, Julia. My life in France.
- Cohen, Rich. Sweet and low: A Family Story.
- Conroy, Pat. Death of Santini: The Story of a Father and His Son.
- Conway, Jill K. The road from Coorain.
- Dedman, Bill. Empty Mansions: The Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune.
- Dreher, Rod. The Little Way of Ruthie Leming.
- Drennan, William R. Death in a prairie house: Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Murders.
- Edsel, Robert M. The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History.
- Egan, Timothy. The Worst hard time: The untold story of those who survived the great American dust bowl.
- Eggers, Dave. Zeitoun.
- Fink, Sheri. Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital.
- Finkel, David. The Good Soldiers.
- Frank, Jeffrey. Ike and Dick: Portrait of a Strange Political Marriage.
- Fuller, Alexandra. Don't let's go to the dogs tonight: an African childhood.
- Gardner, Chris. The pursuit of happyness.
- Gentil, Olivia. Life list: A woman's quest for the world's most amazing birds.
- Gilbert, Elizabeth. Eat, pray, love : one woman's search for everything across Italy, India and Indonesia.
- Gill, Michael Gates. How Starbucks saved my life: a son of privilege learns to live like everyone else.
- Gilman, Susan Jane. Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns. No ordinary time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The home front in World War II.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of rivals: the political genius of Abraham Lincoln.
- Gordon, Linda. Dorothea Lange: A Life Beyond Limits.
- Greenspan, Alan. The age of turbulence : adventures in a new world.
- Greitens, Eric. The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy SEAL.
- Gruenewald, Mary Matsuda. Looking like the enemy: My story of imprisonment in Japanese-American internment camps.
- Hancock, Noelle. My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir.
- Heng, Liange. Son of the Revolution.
- Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken: a World War II story of survival, resilience, and redemption.
- Horan, Nancy. Loving Frank : A Novel.
- Horwitz, Tony. Confederates in the attic: Dispatches from the unfinished Civil War.
- Hunt, Irmgard A. On Hitler’s mountain: Overcoming the legacy of a Nazi childhood.
- Johanyak, Debra. Behind the veil: an American woman's memoir of the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis.
- Johnson, Steven. The ghost map: the story of London's most terrifying epidemic--and how it changed science, cities, and the modern world.
- Jourdan, Carolyn. Heart in the Right Place.
- Kennedy, Edward. True Compass: A Memoir.
- Koppel, Lily. The Red Leather Diary: Reclaiming a Life Through the Pages of a Lost Journal.
- Miranda Kennedy. Sideways on a scooter: life and love in India.
- Kimmel, Haven. A Girl named Zippy: Growing up small in Moorland, Indiana.
- Kingsolver, Barbara. Animal, vegetable, miracle: A year in food life.
- Kingston, Maxine Hong. The woman warrior: memoirs of a girlhood among ghosts.
- Krakauer, Jon. Into the wild.
- Kurson, Robert. Shadow divers: The true adventure of two Americans who risked everything to solve one of the last mysteries of World War II.
- LaNeir, Carlotta Walls. A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High.
- Langguth, A.J. Driven West: Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears to the Civil War.
- Larson, Erik. The Devil in the White City: Murder, magic, and madness at the fair that changed America.
- Larson, Eric. In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin.
- Larson, Erik. Thunderstruck.
- Lopez, Steve. The Soloist.
- Mah, Adeline Yen. Falling leaves: the true story of an unwanted Chinese daughter.
- Massie, Robert K. Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman.
- McCourt, Frank. Teacher man: A memoir.
- McCullough, David G. The Johnstown flood.
- Millard, Candice. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President.
- Millard, Candice. River of doubt: Theodore Roosevelt’s darkest journey.
- Moorehead, Caroline. A Train in Winter: A Story of Resistance, Friendship and Survival.
- Mortenson, Greg. Three cups of Tea : one man's mission to fight terrorism and build nations -- one school at a time.
- Nafisi, Azar. Reading Lolita in Tehran: A memoir in books.
- Norman, Elizabeth M. We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped in Bataan by the Japanese.
- Norris, Michele. The Grace of Silence.
- Novogratz, Jacqueline. The blue sweater: bridging the gap between rich and poor in an interconnected world.
- Obama, Barack. Dreams from my father: a story of race and inheritance.
- O'Reilly, Bill. Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot.
- Reisen, Harriet. Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women.
- Rice, Condoleezza. Extraordinary, ordinary people: A memoir of family.
- Roberts, Cokie. Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation.
- St. John, Warren. Outcasts United: A Refugee Soccer Team, an American Town.
- Schwalbe, Will. The End of Your Life Book Club.
- Shah, Saira. The Storyteller’s daughter.
- Shields, Charles J. Mockingbird: A portrait of Harper Lee.
- Skloot, Rebecca. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.
- Smardz Frost, Karolyn. I've got a home in glory land: a lost tale of the underground railroad.
- Strayed, Cheryl. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Toobin, Jeffrey. The nine : inside the secret world of the Supreme Court.
- Walls, Jeannette. The glass castle: a memoir.
- Winchester, Simon. The professor and the madman: a tale of murder, insanity, and the making of the Oxford English dictionary.
- Worth, Jennifer. Call the Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times.