Online doesn't mean on your own
The University of Akron provides personal ongoing educational support to online learners across the nation throughout their entire tenure at the university. From your first inquiry about a program to your final semester, student services staff members are consistently on hand to guide, advise and assist you.
An overview of the services we offer and how they can help you achieve your educational goals:
- Academic Advisement Center The Academic Advisement Center is available to educate, advocate, and empower you to make effective academic and career decisions.
- Accessibility - The goal of the Office of Accessibility is to provide reasonable accommodations and a supportive, well-resourced environment to our students with disabilities in order to promote their success in the university environment.
- Adult Focus is an academic support service for adult learners. Any student, regardless of age, whose primary life roles and responsibilities exist independent of the University and take precedence over the role of student in times of crisis or stress is considered to be an adult student.
- Bookstore - Buy books online through UA's online bookstore.
- Career Management - The Center for Career Management offers a variety of services to students and alumni, from personalized services to career-related events and electronic resources.
- Computer Based Testing - The office of Computer Based Assessment & Evaluation provides services in the deployment of online tests, surveys and assessments. If you live within driving distance of the University of Akron, you may use this office for proctored tests and exams.
- Counseling Services - A culturally diverse staff of licensed psychologists and doctoral trainees provide psychological counseling and psychotherapy, career counseling , testing services, outreach and consultation to the university community. This site provides electronic resources and videos for study skills, test taking skills, and career development.
- Financial Aid - To take advantage of the many sources of aid available, it is important for you to be informed. The electronic resources on the financial aid site help to simplify the financial aid process and answer many frequently asked questions. Phone counseling services are also available.
- Inclusive Excellence - The Office of Inclusion and Equity directs the University’s outreach efforts to support our diverse population of students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Library - Search electronic journals, periodicals, books, magazines, and even contact a librarian. These tasks can all be accomplished online with UA's online library.
- Scholarship Resources - This site provides links to a large selection of scholarship opportunities for UA students.
- Support - The Zip Support Center (sometimes known as a Help Desk) provides a wiki that is continually being updated with new articles and web-based tutorials to assist you with technical questions. You can also submit an online support request if you experience a technical problem while using Springboard! or any of the university electronic resources.
In Person Tutoring:
The Smucker Learning Center at Wayne College provides in person tutoring for Wayne’s onsite and online courses. Stop by B-107 to meet with one of our Peer Learning Assistants or Professional Tutors. Feel free to use B-117, our dedicated, staffed computer lab. Study with your classmates in our group study area or alone in our café seating area. Our services are free and available to all Wayne College students.
Contact Information: 330-684-8960 or 1-800-221-8308, ext. 8960. firstname.lastname@example.org
eTutoring is provided through the Ohio eTutoring Collaborative. Our students at The University of Akron have access to online tutoring in:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Digital Literacy (Microsoft Office products)
- Math (from the developmental level through Calculus II)
The Online Writing Lab allows you to submit a draft of your paper to a tutor, ask for specific feedback, and receive your work back with a tutor’s comments in approximately 24 to 48 hours. You may submit up to three drafts per paper.
eChat will allow you to meet with a tutor in one-on-one tutoring sessions via a fully interactive, virtual online environment.
Offline questions will allow you to leave a specific question for an eTutor, who will respond within 48 hours (but usually sooner).
The following tutorials can help you register for eTutoring: