John Roncone, Ph.D.
Title: Associate Professor and Program Coordinator, Sport Science & Wellness Education
Dept/Program: Sport Sci & Well Educ Wayne
Office: Wayne College and Boyer HPE Bldg D206
Dr. Roncone joined UA Wayne College full-time in the fall 2009. Currently, he serves as an Associate Professor and Program Coordinator of Sport Science and Wellness Education. He is also a Graduate Faculty member (Category I) for the main campus (SSWE). He was elected to serve on the Leadership Council for the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE) America-Midwest as well as has served as the Recording Secretary (2013-15’; 2015-17’). His professional association memberships include: OAHPERD, SHAPE America, SHAPE America-Midwest, Akron AAUP, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), and the American College Health Association (ACHA).
He has served as a reviewer for the American Journal of Health Education, Journal of American College Health, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Alcohol Education Program, CHOICES Grant, OAHPERD Grant, and Editorial Board for OAHPERD. He also served on the Board of Directors, Chair, Sports Science Division, Ohio Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (OAHPERD) for 5 years (2006-2011) and the Board of Directors for AAHPERD-Midwest for 4 years (2009-2013) as Vice President of the Health Council.
His community interests include serving on the Board of Directors for Orrville Area United Way and Growing Healthy Habits Coalition (Orrville). He served 3 years as a member of the Board of Trustees for the Wooster Y (Jan. 2012-Dec. 2014). He also established a partnership (spring 2012 to spring 2014) between the SSWE Department, EST Program and the Arthritis Foundation, Great Lakes Region.
His research interests include: Health education and promotion, wellness education, active lifestyles, and ATOD behaviors among collegiate and interscholastic student-athletes. Dr. Roncone was the recipient of the 2012 OAHPERD Health Professional of the Year. Dr. Roncone was also the 2013 Midwest District AAHPERD Health College/University Teacher of the Year. He enjoys spending time with his family and enjoys reading biographies on baseball legends, such as Honus Wagner, Yogi Berra, Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams.
- Ph.D., Health Education & Promotion, Kent State University, 2005
- M.S., Health Science, Slippery Rock University, 1995
- B.A., Sports Administration, Mount Union College, 1994
- 5540:126/Fitness and Wellness
- 5540:190/ST: General Stds Physical Education/Beg. Wht. Trng.
- 5550:100/Introduction to Sport Studies
- 5570:101/Personal Health
- 5550:150/Concepts In Health and Fitness
- 5570:202/Comprehensive Stress Management
- 5550:220/Health Promotion & Behavior Change
- 5550:245/Adaptive Physical Education
- 2670:250/Exercise Science Technology Internship
- 5550:330/Exercise and Weight Control
- 5570:421/Comprehensive School Health